Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things...

Two weeks ago today those of us left at Mid-Continent University received notice that the school will be shutting down.  In some ways I knew it was going to happen but I was still hoping and praying otherwise.  When the news came down you are left with the, "Now what?" thoughts racing through your head.

All I could do after that was just start searching and applying for jobs.  Each day I would spend hours answering questions and uploading my resume to every job I could find.  It is overwhelming at first but eventually everything starts to flow.  After a while though the information is out there and you just have to wait.  Each email or phone call creates an anxious feeling hoping that someone is interested in you.  Mostly though things are silent.

To fill up that silent time I started (inventing) completing projects around the house.  I just needed something to do to get my mind off being unemployed.  I made a list in my mind for each day so I could feel like I had actually accomplished something.  At the end of the day I still felt like nothing was done.

You would think that a guy who had spent 12 years in vocational ministry would have been real "spiritual" about it.  You would think that I would pray and dive into God's word more.  Instead, I dove right into a funk.  I just sat there like Jonah waiting for Nineveh to burn.  Apparently I was ok with sitting in the shade and stewing over what all had gone down.

One night Buffy looked at me and straight up asked me, "What are you praying for?"  I really didn't have a good answer.  In my halfhearted prayers I was just praying for a job.  It wasn't specific or even lengthy it was just to say I had done it.  That night I laid there and prayed.  I asked God to give me the strength and passion to look for his will in this.  I prayed for encouragement and job specifics so he would know my heart.  I also prayed for all my co-workers from MCU that were going through the same thing.

The next morning I decided to go outside with my coffee, bible and music.  I didn't know where to look or even what I was looking for.  As I was pondering these things, the song on my iPod was speaking of God's amazing grace.  I thought what a wonderful word.  I will look up the word amazing.  The very first verse I read was this:

Joshua told the people, “Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among you.” - Joshua 3:5

Of course, if you know me, I wasn't happy with just reading the one verse.  I needed to know what was going on and why that was being said.  After reading through this account as well as something that complimented it in Exodus I was amazed.  God was telling me something.  He had been doing amazing things and something big was coming up.

Needless to say, I have just accepted a position as an Admissions Recruiter at Savant Learning Systems.  It is very similar to my job at Mid-Continent University so the learning curve will not be too bad.  I am excited about this opportunity and thank God for it.

**I apologize for this long post but there is a lot that needs to be said.  Also, I will be posting soon about some of the blessings God handed us through his servants during my unemployment.**


No comments: