Wednesday, October 09, 2013

What's "Best to him"

I have never really fit a mold set before me in life.  I have to admit sometimes I purposely broke the mold out of arrogance, pride and rebellion.  Ultimately though, I haven’t fit a mold because I am not supposed to.  A mold is something that is made to make an object conform to a standard.  After looking further into things I realize we are not made for molds.

Jeremiah 18:1-6

“This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message.” So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.

Then the word of the Lord came to me. He said, “Can I not do with you, Israel, as this potter does?” declares the Lord. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, Israel.

God doesn’t work with a molding.  He is in a process of constant forming.  If God sees an imperfection he will take the clay and start again.  He isn’t looking for us to match what others think we should or shouldn’t be.  God is working on something bigger.  To make us more and more like him.  Being in his likeness means we may not fit.

Look at what Isaiah writes about Jesus:

Isaiah 53:2

He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
    and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.


 
People were not drawn to Jesus by his appearance.  The religious leader didn’t accept Christ because he wasn’t kingly.  Jesus didn’t fit the mold others desired.  If that is true, I shouldn’t expect anything different in my life.  So with that understanding, I have come to a place in life where I have stopped trying to be what others want and more what God wants.  I have to admit even I struggle with what God wants me to be.  I just know I am in good care.  I trust him to constantly wrap his creative hands around me until I am what is “best to him”.

No comments: