Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A struggle to be the better person.

Matthew 5:38b
“…If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also

            Over the years I have always tried to live out this verse.  It is hard and sometimes and I just want to quit.  When people continually hurt you or let you down you have the strong urge to reciprocate the actions.  The human side of you says, “I will show you!”  You want people to experience and understand what you are feeling.  This is contrary to what Jesus is stating here.

            To be honest I don’t like that.  I become weary of being the better person.  I want to strike back or lash out.  I tend to justify myself with circumstances, that in my mind, Jesus wouldn't understand.  I mean if he was physically here with me he would tell me that I don’t have to turn the check.  Right, Jesus?

            The truth is what it is.  The truth is the truth and Jesus told us to continue to be the better person.  If someone hurts your feelings, stay strong.  If someone lets you down, stay hopeful.  The hope is that Jesus will shine through our diligence.  Others won’t understand that continued resolve to do the right thing.  That resolve can only be explained in the person of Jesus.

            Now, does that mean the slap to the cheek won’t hurt?  Absolutely not!  It will hurt and it also may knock you down.  There will be bruises and scars from the continued struggle.  Jesus didn’t say it was going to be easy. Not only that but he lived what he preached.  Jesus felt hurt, disappointment, pain, agony and loneliness.  He stayed true and now sits at the right hand of God.  I can see him cheering for us in heaven.  Leaning over and saying, “That’s my brother/sister right there.  Look Father they are fighting the fight!”


            I pray that through life’s adversities I can find peace in this.  That I can remember what Jesus said and promised.  I know there will be a day where this will be no more.  Until then I will continue to pick myself up and keep fighting.

No comments: