Friday, June 22, 2012

A lamb that roars.

Years ago I went to a church youth camp.  During the time our youth were off with camp counselors the leader of the conference shared a book that really changed the way he saw things.  I normally don't pay attention because it is usually a plug for a speaker, musician or company.  It wasn't a flashy book and looked like something you would pick up at a yard sale.  I was wrong.

The book was titled "Roaring Lambs" and it was stated that a lamb is a Christian but a roaring lamb is a Christian who Amplifies their Faith. The author writes, "To be a Roaring Lamb; you just need to begin believing that Christian faith and teaching belong in every arena of public discourse."  - Bob Briner

What you mean Christians can be out in public??? You have to be kidding me???  Too many times I have heard people attempt to discredit others if they work out in the public sector.  If you were a business man but didn't have a Jesus fish on your brief case then you were not doing it right.  This is common in many areas.  The book describes 8 places we need to be out there roaring. I have posted them below with a list of people that I think fit that area.

The Family - Buckner International transforms the lives of vulnerable children, enriches the lives of senior adults, and builds strong families through Christ-centered values. I visited one of their campuses and was amazed at how they are focusing on families and providing for their needs.

The Church - I so wanted to place my church in here but that would be bias.  There is a church inWisla Poland that sits on a hill.  Oasis Baptist Church serves a conference center, worship facility, mission team host, a place to stay and even a produce store in the basement.  Every inch of the building is used for something.
The Marketplace - Danny Tolley (Tolley and Lowe) - James "Danny" Tolley began a paint contracting business years ago.  James is now a faithful Christian man that helps the church in any way he can.  Over the years he has opened his house, property and services to help fellow Christians.

The Media - Amy Watson - Amy was a news reporter for the Paducah, KY area years back.  I had the opportunity to meet her and hear about her Christian faith.  Now she is an anchor at News Channel 5 in Nashville, TN

The Arts and Entertainment Industry -  BJ Harris who in my book has stayed true to his calling. Harris opens the eyes of his audience not just with illusions but to the faith.  And that art of story telling has opened new doors of opportunity for Harris as a respected communicator to conjure up words of inspiration at concerts and other presentations.  Over the years I have watch Harris from the sidelines.  He is one of the most authentic Christian performers I know. 

The Sports Industry - Murray State Head Coach Steve Prohm -  All season Murray State Head Coach Steve Prohm has encouraged his team to do two important things: Keep their eyes up and stay on their wall. Both mottos come from biblical passages but the latter hails from Nehemiah 6:3 when Nehemiah and a group of men were rebuilding the wall around Jerusalem and when people tried to distract Nehemiah from completing his wall, he simply replied, “I am doing a great work and I cannot come down.”

The Education Arena - This area is for every parent out there that feels God's calling to Home school their children.  Yes they are made fun of, degraded and looked at as freaks but they choose to follow their calling.  I know there are great Christian public and private school teachers out there.  I think the unsung heroes are the home school parents.

In this area also I would like to acknowledge a few professors I have had class with over the years.  The first is a man by the name of Bill Ward.  The was an accounting professor I had in my Bachelor's program.  The compliments for this gentleman just flow in.  His Christian walk is evident. The second professor is Dr, Evie ChenhallDr. Chenhall's teaching style is amazing and she always finds a way to bring out her Christian faith in her class.  It sure is hard to discuss employment law in masters class and incooperate your faith but she can do it.

The Government Arena - Teresa Cantrell of Mayfield, KY - Teresa has begun to move her city in a new direction.  Her Christian values and relationship with Mid-Continent University have shown through in the community.  I have been amazed at her leadership ability. 

I know there are many people out there that you know about that you think should be on this list.  I wanted to make a list of people that you may not know and ones I have known about over the years.  Some of them from experience while other from seeing them perform.  I just wanted to say thank you for being that "Roaring Lamb."

Make your own Roaring Lamb List!

No comments: