Thursday, June 28, 2012

I finally figured it out

Ok so I am about to admit something to the blogging world.  I am terrified of needles, shots and blood draws.  The idea of them makes me feel light headed.  Over the years I have tried numerous ways to conquer this pansy fear.
  1. Don't look
  2. Look
  3. Think about something else (yea right!)
  4. Telling my self to man up!
  5. Slow breathing.
  6. Drinking lots of water in hopes that the blood will flow faster. My brain is faster and it laughs at my feeble attempts.
Let me say nothing has worked so far.  I mean really?  It doesn't hurt and you barely even notice what is going on.  I know it is 100% mental and I can't seem to beat myself at this game.  Today I attempted something different.  It came to me while I was sitting there trying not to think about the tiny needle going into my arm.  Total distraction!  So, I asked the blood draw lady what the meaning was for all the different colored vials.  Not only did it work but I learned something in the process.  There is a reason besides simple color coding.  I am sure the worker thought I was an idiot.  And maybe I am, but at least I am not an idiot passed out in the floor.

Freedom at last!

No comments: