Saturday, September 17, 2011

What do you say?

What do you say when your spouse loses her father suddenly?

There is little you can say to help in that time. All you can do is be there to hold them, hug them and tell them you love them. I think maybe comfort comes in unspoken ways. I saw those things and tried to be them as well.

Sorry is in a card.
Sorry is in providing food.
Sorry is in just being there.
Sorry is a shoulder to cry on.
Sorry is an ear to listen.
Sorry is understanding sometimes there are no words or answers.
Sorry is in trips to pick up family.
Sorry is babysitters at 3:00AM at a seconds notice.
Sorry is in a visit.

There are many things that can express sorry to those grieving the loss of a close loved one. They called me "Cinderelly" last weekend. That actually made me feel like I was helping my family. From a gallon of milk to officiating the graveside service I will do anything for my family. I truly am sorry for the loss of my father-in-law and those he left here. To Sondra, Davida, Grand kids and family I count it a blessing to be a part of this family.

To my wife:
I will always be there for you. I hate to see you cry and hurt but know we will work through this. If it takes months of staying up late and talking I will be there. I love you.

1 comment:

Buffy said...

How is it possible that I love you even more than I did just a little over 2 weeks ago. We will make it somehow, some way through this valley. Losing a parent is by far the hardest thing I've ever endured, but it is easier in your arms. I love you!