Monday, September 05, 2011

Comfort and Convict

Today I was reading in the book of Philippians. I didn't make it too far before I found my stopping place. I probably should explain what I mean by "my stopping place". When I am reading through scripture there always seems to be a verse or two that seems to stick in my mind. I will attempt to push onward and yet that portion of scripture continues to enter my thoughts. I realize at that point I have been reading through a chapter and missed other great verses. I failed to stop long enough to let God speak. So here is my stopping point today:

Philippians 1:15-18
15
It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice,


Every so often I seem to drag up something from the past that haunts me at times. I always ponder my decisions and the decisions of others. I can't seem to make the ends meet every time and it bothers me. I have an overwhelming sense to tell it like it is. Then at the same time God is reminding me of the integrity that comes from holding your tongue.

Well I believe God revealed something to me today that will help with the struggles I have. I see in these few verses a glimpse of a kingdom focused Paul. Paul I am sure totally disagreed with what some people were doing in the faith. Their motives, actions and attitudes were wrong and yet Paul draws something out of it. It is not about the people it is about the message.

I can't change people.
I can't control the future.
I can't pull out my righteous anger card and use it.

Gods message stays the same, even through the mouths of humanity. That includes me! How can a verse in the Bible bring comfort and conviction at the same time? Thank you God for a fresh perspective on a stale thought.

No comments: