Thursday, August 25, 2011

Quietness a symbol of meekness?

Over the years I have heard more than a few times that I seem to let people run over me. This perception has apparently been since birth or at least it seems. If you know me at all you know I like to talk so that is not the case. What the thought is that since I stay quiet when people are rude, mean, vulgar and abusive it is because I am timid and meek.

At first I must say that initial judgment ills me a bit. Then I thought...why should it? I am not here on this earth to make an impression of power or strength. I know that even in my strongest hour I am weak in comparison to God. I have found many times saying nothing says more. There have been many of times I wanted to jump up and scream at situations or people. I believe in many circumstances it would have been justified. Then there is this quiet voice inside me that says "you are better than that". Is it easy? NO! You know I see a person I really want to be like that showed me the greatest example of this.

Luke 23:8-11

8 When Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform a sign of some sort. 9 He plied him with many questions, but Jesus gave him no answer. 10 The chief priests and the teachers of the law were standing there, vehemently accusing him. 11 Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him. Dressing him in an elegant robe, they sent him back to Pilate.

You can just see people that loved Jesus in the background saying:
"Come on Jesus say something"
"Stick up for yourself"
"Show them who you really are"

And what happens? Nothing...Jesus is silent.

Isaiah 53:7

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.

Jesus in his righteousness stood before his accusers innocent and did not say anything. If he can do that then I can appear meek (a push over) in my sinfulness and attempt to be like my savior. I just hope that when it is all said in done people can sit back and remember who I attempted to be like. Rather than what I attempted to be like.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not lately:-) "Old man" Ha Ha!

Sozo said...

When it concerns my family it is harder to stay quiet. For myself yes...lol

Anonymous said...

didn't get that from your mamma

MDGivens said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MDGivens said...

Brother,
I've learned that the Holy Spirit causes silence sometimes to be the tool to convict people of their sinful rampage. It is an example of holiness. A good friend of mine is the same way. His silence is deeply convicting! Meekness is power under control. I greatly appreciate your wisdom!