Saturday, December 31, 2011

I should be sleeping...but

While my house is quiet and all is still I need to blog. Over the last few years we have been on a roller coaster. Those moments when we are at our highest we know there has to come a drop at some point. If you have ever been on a roller coaster you know that the bottom of the drop you feel all of the pressure created by such a drastic drop. Life can sure feel like that.

Then I realized something. There are more people on the roller coaster with me. Over the last 2 years those people have raised their hands and screamed with me. Life sure seems different when you look around and see family.

Looking back over this year I truly see how blessed I am. Every day I get to kiss my wife and kids before leaving for work. I see their smiling faces everyday and have their 100 percent support when I sometimes give them 50 percent of my time.

At some of the darkest moments family has been a phone call away. With no question we have people waiting at a moments notice. I have also realized that even the smallest prayer from a family member makes the difference. I have literally felt the strength it gives.

I have realized that we need to spend more time with family (not just at our home). We have been blessed to live within miles of our family but pretend it is hours. It doesn't have to be a special event for a visit. We can load up the van and swing by for a few hours at any time. After all the years go by way to fast.

Tonight we sat at home with the kids, played Wii, ate too much fondue and just relaxed. I spent the late part of New Years Eve sitting on the couch with Buffy watching television. There were no streamers, party hats or wine glasses. Those things you sweep up at the end and throw away. What I have is priceless and I plan on keeping it for a long time.

No comments: