Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Prayer Meter

Tonight at church we discussed prayer. Of course we used the Lord's prayer as a springboard text.

Matthew 6:9-13
9 Pray like this:

Our Father in heaven,
may your name be kept holy.
10 May your Kingdom come soon.
May your will be done on earth,
as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today the food we need,
12 and forgive us our sins,
as we have forgiven those who sin against us.
13 And don’t let us yield to temptation,
but rescue us from the evil one.

What grabbed my attention was verse 5

"When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get."

How many times when called on to pray do I try to impress with my wording? I have this weird feeling that I am trying to sound spiritual and I need to pray a good prayer. After all I surrendered to the ministry and spent 12 years doing it vocationally. Some times I even think about a "good" prayer ahead of time just in case.

I believe this falls in the "where everyone can see them" part of the verse. I should not be trying to impress anyone with my prayers. After all
our "Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him!" (v 7) I think it is time to make my prayers real.


No comments: